Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Liam Knight

I am Liam Knight.  I am a 9th grader at Mt Abe Union High School, I'm 14 years old.  I'm part of the rowing club and I play the trumpet.  I also enjoy doing math and reading.  This is a picture of me w/ my parents and my little brother (he's 12).

Some food items grown or produced in Vermont include: Milk, Beef, Bacon, Vegetables (cucumbers, carrots, lettuce), Apples, Grains (like wheat).

Vermont is probably most famous for maple syrup and Ben & Jerry's ice cream!  Those two items are some of my most favorite foods (especially when they're put together!)

The 3rd Thursday of November every year in the US we celebrate Thanksgiving by eating a meal that commonly includes a roast turkey, with mashed potatoes, stuffing, and lots of vegetables.  Thanksgiving remembers the English settlers' first harvest in this country.

One of my favorite foods that is NOT produced in Vermont is mango.

Our school's food has improved greatly in the last few years, and they are purchasing locally produced foods.  Buying local foods is good for the environment because then it doesn't have to be transported over long distances so it uses less gas (fewer carbon emissions).  Plus, it is fresher because it can be harvested closer to the time it is eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment